Keep hot ingredients on stove or in crock pots, put others in bowls so people can walk around and put on what they want.
- Hot steamed rice
- Medium white sauce with chicken/turkey diced in (I sometimes use sliced turkey from the deli when I’m short on time)
- Diced tomatoes
- Stuffed green olives and/or black olives sliced
- Pineapple – crushed and drained
- Grated cheese – cheddar is mellow
- Celery diced – for crispness
- Diced onion
- Chinese noodles – the crispy, bagged ones
- Sliced almonds
- Coconut – everyone gets a pinch for the snow
- Other ideas: water chestnuts, crumbles of bacon, . . . whatever family favorites you want to add.
My favorite is from our years in Alaska called Mt. McKinley (feel free to substitute the name of any mt. nearby).
It is easy to purchase some of the ingredients already "done", and chop others ahead so it’s a matter of putting them in bowls on the table. With the rice and sauce in crock pots or on the stove it’s a help yourself dream.